Newbie Knitter

Okay, I like to knit but I'm a newbie and I'm going to try to venture into knitting things other than scarves and mittens. I'll be sharing the progress of my projects and heck, anything else that's on my mind!

July 09, 2005

A Dyeing Disaster!!!

So after going to Michigan, I brought back my stash that I had ordered from Knit Picks. I bought 3 skeins of Color Your Own so I could dye it and knit the bolero from Vintage Knits. I was really excited about this so I decided to dye my yarn last night but instead of using Kool-Aid, I used some Wilton frosting colour. I wanted to dye the yarn a very dark, deep purple so I had to mix some red with blue and that seemed fine. Omigosh, after pouring the dye onto the yarn, I seemed to have a mess on my hands (literally too!). I guess the colours don't mix too well or something because I ended up with splotches of blue and purple on the yarn. No it wasn't a pretty varigated either :( Oh ya, to top it off, some clumps of the red dye from the bottom of the mix got onto the yarn too.
So in desperation and frustration, I grabbed my only 3 packs of grape Kool-Aid that I had on hand and pouted it onto the yarn after nuking it with the Wilton's dye. That didn't work so great either due to lack of Kool-Aid.
Today, I picked up 15 packs of grape Kool-Aid and attempted to dye over the yuckiness and hopefully make the purple more uniform. So it's worked a bit better now. The yarn is now at least a deeper purple and the blue was dyed over so it's closer to purple and well the bit of redness is now more of a dark magenta or something. It looks a bit better now, but geez, I learned my lesson the hard way. I think I'm going to stick to dying yarn with Kool-Aid now. And if I ever want to use Wilton's again, I'll get the frosting colours that are already mixed up for me! If I don't like the colour that the yarn is now, the only thing I can do is use the black Wilton's I've got but I'm a little nervous to do that, although the yarn might end up looking cool with black and purple! I've tried to take some pictures of the yarn with my camera but they aren't turning out too well actually. It'll be interesting to see what the bolero will look like after it's knitted.

Get this: I'm on a yarn diet! Because vacations are so important to me and I sooooo want to go to Mexico in September still, I can't buy anymore yarn. I guess that's kinda why my husband let me have my fun with buying yarn in Michigan. I wasn't going to get the Lorna's Laces but he told me to just get it. So let's see how good I can be while on a yarn diet and if I can last! Secret Pal, any yarn gifties that you send me this summer will definitely be a lifesaver!!!

Oh yes, while driving to Michigan I had decided to bring the sock yarn from my lovely Secret Pal to knit a pair of socks. I've discovered that DAMN! am I ever slow at knitting socks! I guess it's because the yarn is so thin and the needles are so small that it's just taking me three times longer to knit than usual. However, the pattern that that sock yarn makes are really neat and the yarn is incredibly soft. So hopefully sometime this century I'll be able to finish the socks! I'm still working on the sock cuff and I imagine it's about 1/2 - 1/3 of the way done. No wonder I like worsted weight yarns a bit better - because they're such quick knits! Well I'm off to work on the Letter Have It bag!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home